MISSISSIPPI RIVER POWER CORPORATION
The Almonte Generating Station owned and operated by the Mississippi River Power Corporation is located approximately 50 kms West of Ottawa on the Mississippi River. In 2010, a new power station was built downstream from the original plant as part of the Lower Falls Redevelopment Project.
The original turbines were installed as vertical open flume units with speed increasers and high speed generators. CHC converted the existing turbines in order to utilize a pressure casing, new draft tubes and new direct-connect low speed generators. The converted turbines and new generators were installed in a newly constructed powerhouse located just downstream from the original plant. With the much higher head available at the new location, the Lower Falls Redevelopment project has doubled the generating station’s production capacity from 2.3 MW to 4.6 MW.
- 4.6 MW Plant Capacity
- Two (2) Reconfigured 1700 mm Vertical Axial Flow Kaplan Turbines
- Two New 2300 kW/327 RPM synchronous generators
- Net Head: 14.5 m (47 ft)
- Output: 2300 kW per uni
- Commissioned 2010