CITY OF AUBURN
The Mill Street Dam, owned and operated by the City of Auburn, is located on the Owasco river in Auburn, New York. The generating station installed in the early 1980’s was in operation until 2004, when the costs of equipment maintenance and operational restrictions were deemed to be inefficient. The plant was shut down and remained inactive for 10 years.
In 2013, the City of Auburn undertook to rehabilitate the plant and working with Chant Construction, provided significant upgrades to the site and the powerhouse. CHC was contracted to replace the original open flume vertical propeller turbine with a conventional Kaplan turbine and shaft retrofitted to the original distributor which was fully refurbished. CHC also supplied a new vertical induction generator.
- Net Head 6.8 m (22.3 ft)
- 1500 mm Conventional Kaplan, Open Flume
- Output 625 kW
- Commissioned 2014